Top Ten eFiling Errors at the USPTO
- Not including all documents in the filing as would be done in paper.
- Not calling the Electronic Business Center when there is a question or when encountering a problem which leads to later filing dates and late fees/surcharges.
- Not indicating Customer Number as correspondence address in their attached documents such as the Transmittal letter, ADS, Oath/Declaration.
- Filing a continuation/continuation-in-part/divisional as follow-on submissions to priority application. You should file these as a new application.
- Changing the original font rather than embedding the font to fix a "non-embedded fonts" error message. You should:
Use ABXPDF writer,
Print to Image in Adobe Professional 7.0,
Utilize the Adobe .JobOptions with Adobe Professional 8.0,
Or contact the Electronic Business Center.
- Not choosing all fees that apply to the filing on the "Calculate fees" screen.
- Indicating the total amount of claims resulting in overcharging -- You should indicate the amount of claims in excess of 20 total claims and 3 independent claims.
- Not indexing Amendment parts correctly -- The cover sheet/transmittal letter should NOT be indexed using the Amendment type document descriptions (i.e. Amendment after Non-Final, Preliminary Amendment). The annotated application part should NOT be indexed using the document description "Applicant Arguments/Remarks Made in Amendment." Only the formal "clean copy" of the application part should be indexed using the application part document descriptions (i.e. specification, claims, drawings).
- Not indexing RCE submissions correctly -- This should be indexed under "Request for Continued Examination" instead of "Amendment Submitted/Entered with Filing of CPA/RCE."
- Not including Provisional cover sheet with Provisional application filing.
An ADS or Provisional cover sheet is required for provisional application filings and should be indexed under "General Transmittal - Transmittal of New Application" instead of "Miscellaneous. Incoming letter."
If you are interested in learning more about key findings from the EFS-Web Best Practices Forum, please send an email to: EFS-WebEvents@uspto.gov.
To register to receive emails from the USPTO Patents e-Commerce Division, please use the link below to subscribe:http://uspto.websurveyor.net/register.aspx.
If you are interested in learning more about EFS-Web events, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any specific questions about EFS-Web, PAIR, PKI or any other component of our e-Commerce initiative, please contact the EBC Customer Service Center at 866 217-9197 (toll-free) or 571-272-4100 or send e-mail to email@example.com.