Business Method Patent Enforcement Statistics
According to William G. Pecau and Seth A. Watkins writing for Intellectual Property Strategist on September 11, 2006:
- The 5,000 U.S. patents issued in Class 705 from 2001 to 2005 is about the same number issued during the previous 15-year period.
- 425 of those patents have been involved in lawsuits
- less than 10 percent of these litigated patents have been subject to re-examination since 2000
- 70 of those lawsuits were filed in the District Court for the Eastern District of Texas since 2000
- 20 percent of litigated patents from Class 705 have include at least 50 claims.