- prepare employee contracts with nondisclosure provisions protecting business information and trade secrets
- consider if patent protection is available and worthwhile business methods, software designs or inventions of any type
- File trademark applications based on an intent to use the mark in commerce
- register copyrights to recover statutory damages and attorney fees for copyright infringement
- conduct yearly internal audits of IP rights
The author concludes that "Engineers know that the time and money spent in creating a detailed blueprint can avoid added expense during production. The importance of IP assets to modern business reinforces the benefit of a similar commitment of resources to create and implement an effective IP strategy."